Some Stuff N' Stuff

Mostly a garden blog, and the occasional garden-inspired recipe.

11/16/2006

Garden down time



Today, I had the duty of jury duty. But when we were let out early, I took advantage of the above average temps (in the 60s) and tore the garden, or what was lft of it, down.

I was surprised to see some many orange tomatoes on the ground. The chives seemed to self-promote itself abudently, as well as the oregano. I grabbed some tools from the shed and dug up the aforementioned shrubs as well as the weeds and lemongrass which were easier to rake than to pull up by hand. The tomato plants came out easily, as did the comsos - a few of which were still in bloom. I dug up all sorts of large worms that seemed to be enjoying themselves before I came along. I spyed on several spiders and slugs living under the leaves of various dying vegetation. I threw what I could into the composter, while the rest ended up in a large pile in the back of my garden. I'll let it rot till next spring, at which time I'll compost.



Now I've got a clean slate once again, ready for next year's crops. Overall, I have to say this year was a little dissapointing. TThe cosmos hardly bloomed and the smmer was so short, I didn't get as many tomatoes in time. Many died on the vine, hungry and sunlight-starved.The peppers were weird, I don;t think they were jalepnos as they were labeled. However, the lemon grass was a fun thing to grow, the tomatoes I did get were delicious, and I had lots of basil and more scallions than I could handle. Next year I'd like to plant all heirloom tomatoes. They are hands-down the best tomatoes I've eaten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home