Some Stuff N' Stuff

Mostly a garden blog, and the occasional garden-inspired recipe.

5/21/2008

Seedling Shopping



Just before Laura and I went on a pilgrimage to Mahoney's to buy warm weather crops for our gardens, I made a quick visit to Pemberton in Cambridge to pick up my infamous Green Salsa Hot Peppers and herbs. Although the green salsa peppers were in great shape, I didn't like the look of the Tarragon or any other herbs they had, and they didn't have any sun golds for sale. Satisfied with my single purchase, I returned home and soon got picked up by Laura.

When we got there, we b-lined it straight to the vegetable section since we only had one hour before they closed. We instantly got caught up in the many tomato heirloom varieties. The descriptions & packaging get more and more standardized as these become popular (no more popsicle sticks with hand-written names on them).

Tomatoes were my main priority for being at Mahoney's, here's what I got:
- 2 Brandywines (heirloom)
- 1 Yellow Brandywine
- 1 Old German (heirloom)
- 1 Oregon Spring (early producer)
- Sun Sugar (cherry tomatoes)

I also bought:
- 1 Nasturtium (in a 3 pack...a new thing in the seedling world)
- 1 Cucumber (also a 3 pack)
- 5 wooden tomato stakes

Other things I plan to buy:
- 1 Basil (for porch)
- 1 Thai Basil
- 1 Tarragon (for porch)
- Sun Gold cherry tomatoes (heirlooms at Pemberton)
- Mint (maybe?)

The herbs I was planning on buying, both Basil and Tarragon, we're looking pretty rough, as were the Taxi tomatoes. So instead of buying those, I decided a revisit to Pemberton next week would be best. And although Laura and I talked about splitting some 6-packs of veggies, we ended up choosing own stuff to grown, and we didn't really buy many 6-packs anyways. The two guys in Mahoney's were cracking me up, calling out maturity dates to one another for approval, reading odd bits from the bottom of pots, and at the register, comparing the cheap price of gardening to that of the high price of sit down therapy (gardening being therapy for some of us:)

At home, I placed the seedlings out on the porch for a week of sun and hardening (And I don't know who this "Chef Jeff" character is, but I'm hoping he makes some good seedlings 'cause I bought 3 of those brand.)


Seedings on the porch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home